Monday, September 7, 2009

15 months...

You can do anything for 15 months, right?  Not so, quite a few fellow students dropped out.  Massage school has the ability to shine light on your issues.  You get the opportunity to look more closely at the way you act or react to people, situations and to new experiences.

I sat in on a Massage Fundamentals class at the Oregon School of Massage in May 2008.  Honestly, I thought the teacher was corny and the subject dull.  In retrospect, I was scared and judgmental.  The students were learning how to give a foot massage.  I had always let my hands wander, freely exploring and enjoying the feet, here the instructor was telling students the exact strokes to use and what order to use them in.  She demonstrated on a student as the class gathered around, some sitting, some standing.

Then it was the students turn to work with each other. There was a bit of confusion as they didn't know what to do with me. All of the students were paired up, was I just to watch?  Secretly, I was wishing I could get a foot massage out of my visit.  The instructor paired up with me and I had a fantastic massage from someone with over 20 years experience.  It turned out one of the students didn't want to have his feet massaged.  So, as the students switched roles, I received a foot massage from both the instructor and one of the students.  The very same student to give me a great foot massage showed me so much about myself as our relationship grew.

I wasted no time in applying, getting transcripts sent, filling for a loan, and telling everyone what I was up to.  My family was a little puzzled, but supportive.  My friends rooted me on and talked me through my self doubt.

So the first term arrives.  I felt nervous and shy and unsure of the whole thing.  I was protecting myself and trying to prove that it wasn't a big deal.  I could handle this...right?  The course schedule included: Massage Fundamentals, Shiatsu I, and Anatomy and Physiology I.  The school didn't recommend taking Shiatsu along with Fundamentals in the first term because of the totally different subject matter, Chinese medicine and Swedish massage.  I had a gut feeling about Shiatsu, plus I'd been studying Chinese medicine on my own for the past 2 years.  The Shiatsu helped keep me sane though the first term, I really felt at home with the eastern modality.  A&P was the place where I had to actually study, and so for the first time, I did.

This kind of studying was different from high school or college.  Not only was it about the human body, I was now in school for something I had chosen with no "shoulds" on my shoulders.  I put my best foot forward and did well.

It was summer and the OSM tradition is to take all students to Breitenbush and feed them to the hippies.  What better way to learn massage?  In our 7th week of massage school we were to give a 1 hour massage to total strangers.  In someways, the newness of massage to our hands plus the lack of confidence proved for a unique experience.  I, for one, was totally nervous.  I tried to hide it, but I came across very awkward.  My first victim was a Massage Therapist and an owner of a spa.  She hired and fired LMTs!  I felt totally inadequate.  Looking back, it's because I was trying so hard to fit into the box.  My hands have always known what to do.  Just being in a "Massage Therapist" role put me in unknown territory.  15 months later, I am confident with my hands and as a 'Massage Therapist", but on that day I was humbled.

 This is me giving a face massage at Breitenbush:



I met many incredible people and opened up to people in a way I had never allowed before.  The months flew by. Each class taught me more about the human body, massage and more importantly about myself.

Coming soon: more stories about school

No comments:

Post a Comment