Monday, September 7, 2009

Journey into massage school

Since childhood, I knew I loved giving massage.  I would "play" with my dad's hands, rub someone's shoulders, head, back, or feet without second thought.  I loved when my mom rubbed my head or my dad helped clear my sinuses with his thumbs.


I love connecting to people through touch.

No one in my family ever received professional massage.  I never thought of massage as an full time occupation.  I'd heard about reflexology, my great-aunt knew it and would treat my grandmother. That was the closest thing I knew about professional massage.


It was 2006, 3 years out of college, I was unemployeed and depressed.  A new house mate had just moved in, she had studied massage in NC and she gave me about 20 minutes on the massage table.  I was in love!  I had no idea of all the neat tricks you could do that felt so good.  I desired to return the favor and one night she asked me to massage her aching arms.  Intuitively and a bit more consciously, I followed the muscles and lead the stagnant energy out of her arms, hands and fingers.  She was amazed and asked if I had taken classes.  That surprised me and stirred an idea...


During the next 2 years the massage school idea was dormant. I was looking into going to grad school to become an acupuncturist and Traditional Chinese Medicine doctor at OCOM.  I was taking the necessary science classes at PCC, getting acupuncture, taking Chi Kung and yoga classes, teaching gay tango, experimenting with contact improv and attending Heart of Now workshops. I had been getting healthier, eating better, biking more and getting to know myself.  Something didn't feel right about pursuing grad school for TCM. I realized I didn't want to fill my head with a different set of rules (eastern vs. western). I understood that my body knows things in a different way, not through the head and I got the confidence to seriously consider massage school. 


I was giving the occasional quick head, neck and shoulder massages at work (DiPrima Dolci Bakery).  I became certified to teach chi kung, which included adjusting students' stances and talking them through the movements.  All this was building my confidence.


It wasn't until 2008 that I began to look into massage schools.  I was stubborn about it at first.  I had preconceived notions about massage therapists that I didn't even realize were there.  Plus I thought, "I can give a great massage without more school."  Not to mention, more loans.  But Oregon law says you have to be licensed to practice massage, to be licensed you have to go to school and take board exams. 


I had a lot of great support from my chi kung community.  My family wasn't enthusiastic about it, although they didn't outright disrespect it.  They reasoned that I had already gone to college and had a degree in a more "acceptable" field.


I looked at the 2 schools in the area and chose The Oregon School of Massage for it's recognition of "mind, body and spirit", it's Shiatsu program, and because they have pleasantly purple walls :-).


I began classes in June 2008 and finished in August 2009.  More about the incredible time in school to come.  Stay tuned ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment